The European Haemophilia Consortium (EHC) is looking for an experienced, analytical and passionate European public policy and communications officer to join its small, dynamic team of staff and volunteers.
Type of contract: Full-time, one-year employee contract, renewable
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Reporting to: CEO
Start date: September-November 2021
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience
This vacancy is for one out of the two Public Policy & Communications positions, who work jointly as a team. The ideal candidate will have some content background in public health, rare diseases, and civil societies’ role in shaping health policies and legislation. The ideal candidate will possess excellent attention to detail, proven organisational and project management skills, and the ability to communicate eloquently and flawlessly in English with a broad range of audiences in a compelling and captivating manner. They must also work flexibly and collaboratively within a close-knit team and patient community in cross-cutting ways.
Main duties and responsibilities
This Public Policy & Communications Officer will be mainly responsible for:
Public policy tasks
- Building, maintaining and supporting the EHC’s official group of Members of the European Parliament,
- Organising and implementing key public policy and awareness events such as those organised within the framework of the EHC Think Tank,
- Representing the EHC at, and reporting back from, key public policy events, as relevant and jointly with colleagues,
- Building and maintaining key contacts amongst policymakers and the media,
- Following relevant European policy and legislative developments, assessing their impact on the rare bleeding disorders community and suggesting appropriate actions,
- Carrying out any other public policy tasks as required.
- Supporting all communications before, during and after EHC and external events,
- Producing and maintaining EHC websites and social media accounts,
- Producing both written and digital communication materials (e.g. articles, reports, videos),
- Proof-reading and materials produced by colleagues or volunteers,
- Conceiving and producing EHC stands/booths for conferences and events, and manning these,
- Managing the communications work of volunteers and external service providers,
- Producing press releases, press briefings and other materials, when necessary,
- Carrying out any other communications tasks as required.
Qualifications and requirements
- Minimum 7 years of work experience, ideally in the non-profit sector.
- Native or highly proficient English, working knowledge of other languages an asset (e.g., Russian).
- Higher university degree.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Office, Adobe, web- and video editing.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Able to show initiative, self-start, work under tight deadlines and deliver under high pressure.
- Able to work professionally with multiple cultures and professions, including patients, volunteers, doctors, external consultants and service providers.
- Able to work well virtually as well as face-to-face.
- Able to travel and work, including on weekends, for events in a post-pandemic scenario.
- Familiarity, or experience with, European institutions is an asset.
- Familiarity with haemophilia, rare bleeding disorders or other rare diseases is an asset.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com by midnight on Sunday, August 15th 2021.
Applications should consist of all of the following:
- Letter of motivation,
- Range of expected gross monthly remuneration,
- Telephone and email contacts for 3 references (these will be contacted before a first interview).
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are grateful for all applications and thank all candidates in advance for their interest, time and motivation. Unfortunately, because we are a very small team with a heavy workload, we will only contact short-listed candidates. We thank you in advance for your interest and look forward to your application.